Understanding kidney disease and treatment options starts with knowing what stage you’re in.
Stages 1 & 2, GFR > 60
- These early stages indicate slight damage to your kidneys and display few to no symptoms.
- Manage your condition with a healthy diet and by regulating blood pressure and blood sugar.
Stage 3, GFR 30-59
- You could have fatigue, urination changes, sleep problems and kidney pain.
- Speak to your doctor about a kidney-friendly diet, healthy lifestyle changes, managing high blood pressure and medications that may help.
Stage 4, GFR 15-29
- Symptoms could include fatigue, back pain, nausea, taste changes and difficultly sleeping.
- See a kidney doctor to explore treatment options and to manage complications such as anemia and cardiovascular disease.
End Stage Renal Disease
ESRD, Stage 5, GFR < 15
- You may experience nausea, loss of appetite, itching, swelling and making little or no urine.
- It’s time to consider treatment options such as dialysis and kidney transplant.
Are you in Stage 3, 4 or 5?
Lean more at a no-cost KidneySmart class. Find a class in your area. Call 1-888-MY-KIDNEY (1-888-695-4363) or visit kidneysmart.org/class